Tuesday 13 August 2013

Structures - if only they could talk

Lately I have been experimenting with a few ideas and have really loved the results so I thought I'd share them with you.

I have enjoyed printing with my little birds and stitching into them, but thought that perhaps a change of theme would be good. I have always loved architecture and the details you might find if you look carefully, and love both old and some new alike. In the North East as with many historical towns and cities there is a vast array of buildings that if they could talk would tell many a good tale.

So I decided to start a new series and so far it's called Structures, I wanted to keep it open so that I could perhaps add other interesting architecture not particular to the North East too. I'm also experimenting with digital print and loving exploring the effects and layers you can build up. It's not to say I'm leaving the beloved hand printing behind, that may come into it later so keep your eyes peeled!

Here are some of my first pieces in the series.

 Flour Mill - copyright Ballistic Owl 2013
 The old school - copyright Ballistic Owl 2013
 Tryptych - copyright Ballistic Owl 2013
Millennium Bridge - copyright Ballistic Owl
Detail from the Quayside - copyright Ballistic Owl 2012

All the prints are created from images in my own vast archive, collected for college projects and trips around the UK. I've loved adding little embroidered details just to highlight key features, sometimes very tiny features! These are now available through my Etsy shop and I will be adding more as I create them, more waiting to be printed as I write this.

Don't forget to look out for my variations, will post about those once I've had a play around.

Thank you for dropping by and don't forget to tell your friends about Ballistic Owl and where you can find me on the web.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes a complete change is great, it gives you a new impetus. I love the look of your new pieces but I am popping over to Etsy as my eyes are not as good and I can't see the detail. Jayne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jayne, yes it's been good to have a change of theme. I'm now thinking of different ways to use them. May even approach some galleries with them and see what they think. Tracy :)

    ReplyDelete